Friday, July 24, 2020

A gift from beyond

There was a string of sad news in the past few weeks. Two of my good acquaintances lost people dear to them, my very good friend lost her mother and is awashed with grief and guilt of not spending enough time with her, listening to her , talking to her. I remember those intense feelings of regret when my mom passed away - intensified by realization that so many questions were left unanswered. Often when we finally are wise enough to know what questions to ask, the people who can answer them are already gone. All that left are our memories and our interpretations of the events.

My mother, like the mother of my friend, passed away close to my birthday. For several years after that I couldn't master enough joy  to celebrate it. With time I came to  think that there is a beautiful symmetry in such close proximity of those events - through our birth we are forever tied to our parents, and thus when we are loosing them close to our special day, it serves as a reminder to celebrate and thank them for our existence.

Somewhere during these weeks an interesting event occur. I was sitting with my Tarot  cards creating stories, looking for inspiration when my husband came in. "Oh you and your tarots", he said.  He  paused for a moment and then added with a hint of surprise, "You know I think I have an ancient Tarot deck in my boxes. It was given to me by my grandmother when she was still alive. Not sure why I kept it for all that time." He went into his office to check and shortly returned with an old Rider Waite  deck wrapped in a silk scarf.

So, here it is - an unexpected gift from beyond - from Grandma Johnson through my husband, who is very suspect of all  things New Agey - to me.

No comments: