Thursday, January 10, 2019

Who Are You?


Are you a career oriented person or a relationship oriented one?”, was a question in one of the books that I am reading.  I wasn’t sure how to answer it. I am a trailing spouse, going where my husband is sent to, so it seems like an indication of a relationship oriented human being. On the other hand, when I used to have a carrier or have an employment, all my priorities were about doing my work well, with all the rest structured around it. In my carrier as a teacher or during my numerous jobs in various embassies, I often took some tasks home or worked on weekends simply out of a sense of responsibility, wanting to do everything at the zenith of my abilities.  The above puts me in a camp of a career oriented people.  
It seems like I am an odd variety of a career oriented person without a career. Funnily enough, if to adhere to a strict meaning of this word “career”, “profession for which one trains and which is undertaken as a permanent calling” – I do have one and it certainly is teaching. I do often seek and find opportunities for teaching (different things in different times) along the way. Now, if only these opportunities will become something that brings enough money to live on - than I will have a career in the common sense.

No comments: