Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Language Wonders

The quotes are often find their way to people without any effort on our part. They just appear in our line of vision and grab our attention. Consider this..

 Our young waitress in a restaurant was standing with her back to us, her hands folded behind her back - the words "Omnia mea mecum porto" were running along the forearm. They did caught my attention - it was Latin, which probably should not have been a big surprise considering that we are in Italy, but the meaning! The meaning was so good, "All that is mine, I carry with me". Considering my "nomadic" life style and upcoming departure from the city I had a privilege to call home for the past three years - I took it as a sign that all will be well. 


I searched for an appropriate translation to my native language and realized that I knew the phrase all  the way from childhood, "Все своё ношу с собой." It made me smile and think how wonderfully strange the life is. I recognized the familiar proverb only by reading it in Latin, and translating it in my head English...
 

No comments: