Sunday, September 10, 2017

Joy of Familiar.

As long as I remember myself I seek solace near art. As our little group were coming closer to the Phillips Collection yesterday I felt joy scintillating through me: the thrill of coming back to something I love and the excitement of sharing it with others. My favourite painting of the collection Pierre Bonnard’s “The open Window” was not on display (I called ahead to shield myself from disappointment) but Matisse “Interior with Egyptian Curtain” was, so as Renoir’s sunny “Luncheon of the Boating Party”. And of course one can always relay on Rothko’s room to be there.( Interestingly, “Green and Maroon” was the piece that drew me in this time. Something about brooding green and coppery red accentuated with dark blue had a direct path to my soul.)

There were also some pieces I haven’t seen before (there are more than 3000 paintings in the collection and they are rotating) including O’Keefe’s Pattern of Leaves – very autumn appropriate, and El Greco’s “The Repentant St. Peter” which brought memories of Budapest. Seeing the enjoyment of Alex and Julia deepened my pleasure.

Henry Matisse "Interior with Egyptian Curtain"


Pierre-August Renoir "Luncheon of the Boating Party"

Rothko, Mark "Green and Maroon"


O'Keeffe Georgia "Pattern of Leaves"


El Greco "The Repentant St.Peter"

No comments: