Sunday, August 13, 2017

"Nothing is permanent but change" Heraclitus

Someone told me recently, "There is nothing new after a certain age, nothing really changes and if changes, it changes for the worst." That made me think of how many new things happened during past year, how many things I am doing for the first time in my life.


  • It is the first time I am living by the ocean, and can swim every day because the weather is warm all year around.
  • It is the first time we live in the country where there is no need to learn a new language (I still learnt basic Haitian, but it is mostly work trappings.).
  • It is the first time I regularly go to the yoga studio, where instructions are in English (and what a thrill it is ! I even tried aerial yoga, and yes, for the first time)
  • It is the first time we live without our older son who started college.
  • It is the fist time I have my own car and drive on the left side of the road.
  • It is the first time I have to visit prisoners, identify the bodies, and speak with grief stricken people on the regular basic.
  • It is the first time invoking of a higher power became a necessity in order to withstand the above. 
  • It is the first time I notice that I worry less and less about what people think of me.


The constant in all this is my yoga practice. Like a raft it keeps me afloat.

No comments: