Friday, October 19, 2007

Life is Beautiful...

“Life is beautiful and full of surprises”, - an old friend of mine used to say when things were looking up.
“Life is beautiful but full of surprises,” – he used to mutter when things were going undeniably wrong.

Today is my “and” day. The kids came home from school and as usual we sat down for a cup of tea and a snack. Alex told me about his upcoming dinosaur presentation; Anton tried to figure out the quickest possible way of finishing his homework before going to the chess club.
Absolutely out of nowhere came “Mom, we really need to learn Russian more, I started to forget it”. I lost my speech for a minute there but quickly gathered my bearings. Tea cups and saucers were moved to the middle of the table; flash cards and a reading book took their place. Both, Anton and Alex, were really excited about this improvising lesson. They tried to recall old words, twisted their tongues around new ones, helped each other to find the right way of saying them and giggled at each other mistakes. On the wave of this unexpected enthusiasm they started to put letters together and ended up actually reading several pages of the reading book. Granted, there were fairly short, small words and phrases but it was the first time ever the boys initiated such thing all by themselves.
I am thrilled!

Now, if only I can find a way to keep them interested.

No comments: